Please read fully and follow these guidelines to avoid delay in application review. The deadline for Fall admission is DECEMBER 1st
Applications for Fall admission are due DECEMBER 1st
Please read and follow these guidelines to avoid delay in the review of your application. We strongly encourage electronic submission of materials when possible. If you mail application materials, please do not bind or staple documents. Bound documents must be separated in order to scan into an electronic format.
Send the following materials directly to the Department of Geography
- Three letters of recommendation. List the names and e-mail addresses of individuals submitting letters in the appropriate fields on your Graduate School application. The individuals will receive an e-mail with a link to a secure web page where they can submit your recommendation. Some writers are less inclined to provide thorough letters of recommendation when submitting electronically. Therefore, you may elect to have your letters of recommendation mailed to the graduate coordinator at the department postal address below. If your letters of recommendation are submitted online, please ask your writers to provide a narrative in the space provided in addition to responding to the objective questions. Recommendations should come from professors who know you well. Letters from employers, attorneys, and non-academic individuals are not recommended.
- Statement of purpose. Please submit your statement of purpose as an e-mail attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org in PDF or Word format if you are unable to submit the document when initally completing the online application. There are no strict guidelines for this narrative, but it should include a clear indication of your interests and objectives related to obtaining a graduate degree in geography. If you are applying to the Ph.D. program, you must indicate a faculty member whom you would prefer to serve as your advisor. We strongly advise applicants to our Ph.D. program to correspond with the faculty member(s) with whom they want to work prior to writing a statement of purpose.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae. Please submit your resume or C.V. as an e-mail attachment to email@example.com in PDF or Word format if you are unable to submit the document when initally completing the onine application.
Department postal address
Department of Geography
204 GG Building
University of Georgia
Athens, GA 30602-2502
Send the following materials to the Office of Graduate Admissions
- Graduate School application form. (If, after repeated attempts, you have difficulty applying online, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.) Learn more
An application must be accompanied by the application-processing fee. The fee is non-refundable and cannot be deferred or credited toward tuition. It must be paid online at the time the application is submitted using a credit card or electronic check, drawn on a U.S. bank account. Applications submitted without the fee will not be processed.
- Domestic applicants must pay $75 for the first major, $40 for the second major, and $30 for the third major.
- International applicants must pay $100 for the first major, $40 for the second major, and $30 for the third major.
- Former UGA graduate students returning within four terms of their last registration pay a reduced rate of $25.
- Transcripts Applicants should submit unofficial transcripts from all institutions attended as part of the online application. Unofficial transcripts may be submitted by mail only. Official transcripts are not required during the review process and will only be required for applicants who are offered admission. Do not mail official transcripts until offered admission.
- Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) test scores sent by Educational Testing Services should be sent directly to the Graduate School
- Application for Georgia residency status, only if claiming legal residence in Georgia. Learn more
Office of Graduate Admissions postal address
University of Georgia
Office of Graduate Admissions
210 S. Jackson St.
Athens, GA 30602
International applicants must submit the following additional materials to the Office of Graduate Admissions
- Official TOEFL scores sent by Educational Testing Services.
- Certificate of Finances form. Learn more International applicants recommended for admission, must submit the Certificate of Finances form and supporting documents. The Certificate of Finances form is not required with the initial submission of application materials.
- Visa documentation. Learn more Only required once you have been offered admission.
- You must send official transcripts and GRE and TOEFL scores to Graduate Admissions.
- Admissions decisions will be made only on complete files.
- Only complete files can be considered for funding competitions.