J. Marshall Shepherd
J. Marshall Shepherd
J. Marshall Shepherd
J. Marshall Shepherd
Georgia Athletic Association Distinguished Professor
Director for Program in Atmospheric Sciences
urban weather-climate, mesoscale weather processes, precipitation, tropical weather hazards, and satellite remote sensing
- Ph.D., Florida State University Physical Meteorology
- Master of Science, Florida State University Physical Meteorology
- Bachelor of Science, Florida State University Physical Meteorology
04/01/2010-03/31/2013 (1 month)
- NASA, Influence of Humans on Precipitation Variability, Climate, and the Water Cycle: Preparing for the GPM era. PI with co-PIs S. Burian and Menglin Jin (UGA Budget, $406,343).
08/10/10-07/31/13 (0.5 month)
- NASA, Using geospatial data and field investigations to monitor effects of climate change on birds along elevational and latitudinal gradients Co-Investigator with J. Hepinstall, M. Conroy, R. Cooper (UFA Budget, $449,765).
- Department of Energy/SRNL, FY 2009-FY2012, Project Title: Integrated Hydrologic/Hydrodynamic Modeling System for Collection of Pollutant Signatures. Co-Investigator with A. Grundstein (PI), J. Bollinger, T. Mote, T. Rasmussen, and others (UGA Budget, $750,000).
08/01/10-07/31/12 (0.0 month)
- U.S. Forest Service, Climate Change and Social Vulnerability in the Southeast U.S and Africa. Principal Investigator (UGA Budget, $15000).
10/01/09-07/31/12 (0.5 month)
- U.S. Forest Service, Climate Change and Social Vulnerability in the Southeast U.S. Co-Investigator (UGA Budget, $22000).
03/01/07-03/01/11 (1 month)
- NASA Headquarters, FY 2006-2009, Impact of Humans on Precipitation Variability. Principal Investigator with co-investigators S. Burian (University of Utah) and M. Jin (University of Maryland) (UGA Budget, $390,000).
06/01/09-05/31/11 (no salary)
- U.S. Forest Service, Regional Climate Simulations of Southern Forests. Co-Investigator with T. Mote (UGA Budget, 130K).
04/01/09-08/31/11 (no salary)
- U.S. Forest Service, Evaluation of WRF Model for SHRMC Activities. Co-Investigator with T. Mote (UGA Budget, 30K).
07/01/09-06/30/12 (no salary)
- National Science Foundation, Creating a Diversity Climate Network (D-ClimNet) to enhance the climate sciences pipeline of minority students from high school to graduate levels. Co-PI with L. Giroux and M. Raphael (UGA Budget, $58,418).
08/01/11-07/31/14 (0.75 month)
- NASA, Expanding the Diversity Climate Network (D-ClimNet) to support NASA’s STEM mission to entrain minority students and teachers in the climate sciences. UGA PI with Co-I Thomas L Mote, PI D. Padgett (TSU), L.A. Dupigny-Giroux (Vermont), and M. Raphael (UCLA). (UGA Budget, $241, 853).
10/01/11-09/30/13 (.75 month)
- NASA,. A New Perspective on Antecedent Soil Moisture-Extreme Weather Hazard Relation-ships: Effects of land surface conditions on mesoscale to synoptic scale storm processes. Co-I with Dev Niyogi (Purdue) (UGA Budget, $275,464).
10/01/11-09/30/14 (1 month)
- EPA, Minimizing risk to water quality management under extreme events impacting regional-scale urban systems, Co-I with Liz Kramer, Carol Couch, Ke Li, Bruce Beck. (UGA Budget, $744,795).
10/01/11-09/30/16 (1 month)
- NOAA, CIENTOS Project, Co-I with Multiple Partners (UPR, CCNY, GT). (UGA Budget, $726,928).
Past Funded Grants
- 2006-2009-NASA, FY 2006-2009, Impact of Humans on Precipitation Variability. Principal Investigator with co-investigators S. Burian (University of Utah) and M. Jin (University of Maryland) (UGA Budget, $390,000).
- 2007-2009-Defense Threat Reduction Agency, FY 2006-2008, Urban Enhancements to Meteorological Modeling and Observations. Co-Investigator with S. Burian (University of Utah) and M. Jin (University of Maryland) (UGA Budget, $85790).
- 2008-2009-US Forest Service, Assessing air quality and perceptions of environmental hazards in the Newtown Community: A prototype UGA-U.S. Forest Service Initiative on environmental justice and green space engagement. Principal Investigator with co-Investigators T. Mote, N. Heynen, and C. Johnson (UGA Budget, $7895).
- 2006-2007-Northeast Georgia Partnership for Reform in Science and Mathematics (PRISM) 2006-07
- Improving Teaching and Learning of Science and Mathematics at the Undergraduate Level, 2006-2007, Enhancing Climate Change Science Education Through Inquiry-Based Concepts and Real-World Simulations Co-Investigator, Robert Hill (UGA COE) ($7790)
- 2006-2008-NASA Goddard Space Flight Center. Science Support for the Development of The NASA
- Global Precipitation Measurement Mission’s Science Implementation Plan and Continuing Precipitation Science Team Activities ($55,000)
- 2006-2007-NASA Goddard Space Flight Center. Developing a Framework for Understanding the
- Titanian Methane Cycle using Remote Sensing Techniques Developed for Studying Earth’s Water Cycle. PI: Dr. Marshall Shepherd (UGA), Co-I: Terence Doiron/GSFC/555, Co-I: Chris Ruf/University of Michigan ($75,000 in FY06 with possible FY07 extension, UGA Budget $5120)
- 2006-2007-NASA Headquarters. Extension of PECASE funding. The Impact of Urbanization on Climate: Integrated Modeling to Couple urban growth, land use change and weather-climate ($106,974)
- 2003-2006-NASA Headquarters. Research Opportunities for Precipitation Measurement Missions:
- Understanding the Impact of Urbanization on Short and Long Term Precipitation Variability and Land Surface Hydrologic Processes ($275,000)
- 2003-2006-NASA NRA-02-OES-05 Research Opportunities for Precipitation Measurement Missions.
- The Impact of Precipitation Measurement Missions on Hydrologic and Water Resource Predictions. Co-I with PI C.P. Lidard (GSFC) and CO-I A. P. Georgakakos (Ga. Tech) (Unfunded co-PI).
- 2003-2005-NASA Headquarters. Impacts of Urban Surfaces on Rainfall Modification using Space-Based Rainfall Measurement, Numerical Models Simulations, and High-Density Gauge Validation: Science Impact, Applications, and Policy Implications. NASA New Investigator Program (300K/3 Years).
- 1999-2000-NASA GSFC. “Informal Science Education Supporting Weather Broadcasters On-Air with TRMM “Mini-Education Supplements” awarded by GSFC Director’s Discretionary Fund (25K per year).
- 1994-1995- NASA Headquarters. Co-Investigator on proposal with Dr. Gerald Heymsfield and Dr. Brad Ferrier on research related to remote sensing of tropical mesoscale convective systems.
- 2011 - Promoted to Full Professor at the University of Georgia
- 2011 - Received the AMS Charles Anderson Award
- 2010 - Awarded tenure at the University of Georgia
- 2010 - Nominated to attend 2010 UGA Teaching Academy Faculty Symposium
- 2009 - Inducted as a Fellow of the American Meteorological Society**
- 2007 - Contributing Author to Nobel Prize Winning IPCC AR4**
- 2005 - Black Enterprise Magazine “Hot List”
- 2005 - Network Journal Magazine “Forty under 40” recipient
- 2004 - Recipient of Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE)**
- 2004 - NASA.GSFC Group Award for Contributions to the JASON Project
- 2004 - Special Act Award (NASA OES)
- 2003 - Peer Award for Scientific Research
- 2002 - Recipient of NASA New Investigator Program Award
- 2001 - Laboratory for Atmospheres Outreach Award
- 2001 - NASA/GSFC Group Achievement Award
- 2001 - Special Act Award for superior performance of a special act (Horizon team)
- 2001 - Special Act Award for superior performance of a special act (Outreach Initiatives): NASA Performance. (FY03,FY00,FY98,FY97,FY96,FY95,FY94)
- 1999 - 1st African American to receive PhD in Meteorology from Florida State University**
- 1999 - NASA/GSFC Special Act Award for superior performance
- 1999 - NASA/GSFC Group Achievement Award-AGS Imager Team
- 1987 - 1993American Meteorological Society (AMS)/TRW Industry Fellow
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Fellow Competition (Honorable Mention)
- Dolores Auzene Fellow (FSU).
- Leslie N. Wilson Assistantship Recipient (FSU)
- National Achievement Scholar
- American Geological Institute Scholar
- Chi Epsilon Pi Meteorology Honorary
- Omicron Delta Kappa National Honorary
- Who's Who Among College Students
- Outstanding College Student of America
- 1990 - National Collegiate Forecast Winner (Burlington, VT period).
- 1987 - High School Valedictorian, Cherokee High School
Bortz, F. and J.M. Shepherd , 2000. Dr. Fred's Neighborhood Weather Watch (McGraw-Hill Publishers). -- Weather-Climate Processes
Shepherd, J.M, and T. Knutson, 2008. Teaching and Learning Guide for: The Current Debate on the Linkage between Global Warming and Hurricanes Geography Compass, Vol. 2, DOI: 10.1111/j.1749-8198.2008.00120.x
Shepherd, J.M., J. Durkee, and B. Hill, 2008. On the Integration of an Educational Climate Model into Physical Geography Curricula: Implementation and Evaluation Strategies. (In review, Journal of Geography)
Jin, M., and J.M. Shepherd, 2008. Aerosol Relationships to Warm Season Clouds and Rainfall at Monthly Scales Over East China: Urban-land vs. Ocean Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres
Grundstein, A., S.E. Sarnat, M. Klein, J.M. Shepherd, L. Naeher, T. Mote, and P. Tolbert, 2008. Thunderstorm-associated asthma in Atlanta, Georgia Thorax READ MORE
Hand, L., and J.M. Shepherd, 2008. Hand, L., and J.M. Shepherd, 2008: An investigation of warm season spatial rainfall variability in Oklahoma City: Possible linkages to urbanization and prevailing wind. Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology (in press)
Shepherd, J.M, D. Niyogi, T.L. Mote, and J. Entin, 2008. A climatological analysis associating spring tornadic activity with antecedent precipitation and drought in the Southeastern United States Geophysical Research Letters (in review)
Shem, W. and J.M. Shepherd, 2008. On the impact of urbanization on summertime thunderstorms in Atlanta: Two numerical model case studies. Atmospheric Research (in press)
Shepherd, J.M., A. Grundstein, and T.L. Mote, 2007. Quantifying the contribution of tropical cyclones to extreme rainfall along the coastal southeastern United States Geophys. Res. Lett., 34, L23810, doi:10.1029/2007GL031694 READ MORE
Jin, M., and J.M. Shepherd, 2007. Development of a parameterization for simulating the urban temperature hazard using satellite observations in a climate model Journal of Natural Hazards, DOI 10.1007/s11069-007-9117-2 READ MORE
Shepherd, J.M., and T. Knutson, 2006. The current debate on the linkage between global warming and hurricanes, Geography Compass (DOI: 10.1111/j.1749-8198.2006.00002.x) READ MORE
Shepherd, J.M., 2006. Evidence of Urban-Induced Precipitation Variability in Arid Climate Regimes, Journal of Arid Environments, 10.1016/j.jaridenv.2006.03.022 READ MORE
Hooshialsadat, P., Burian, S.J., Shepherd, J.M., and Edwards, 2006. Influence of urbanization on secular trends of annual and warm season rainfall amounts in Houston. Climatic Change (under review)
Pyle, P., D. Niyogi, B. Wolfe, M. Shepherd, S. P. Arya, and F. Chen , 2006. An observational and modeling storm based climatology assessment for the Indianapolis, Indiana Urban Region for submission. -- Weather-Climate Processes, Urban and resource modeling, Remote sensing, Cryosphere-Hydrosphere Processes
Shepherd, J.M., 2005. A Review of Current Investigations of Urban-Induced Rainfall and Recommendations for the Future. Earth Interactions: Vol. 9, No. 12, pp. 1-27. READ MORE
Jin, M., J. M. Shepherd, and M. D. King, 2005. Urban aerosols and their variations with clouds and rainfall: A case study for New York and Houston, J. Geophys. Res., 110, D10S20, doi:10.1029/2004JD005081
Jin, M. and J.M. Shepherd, 2005. Inclusion of Urban Landscape in a Climate Model: How Can Satellite Data Help?. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society: Vol. 86, No. 5, pp. 681-689.
Burian, S.J. and J. M. Shepherd, 2005. Effects of Urbanization on the Diurnal Rainfall Pattern in Houston Hydrological Processes: Special Issue on Rainfall and Hydrological Processes, 19, 1089-1103. -- Weather-Climate Processes, Remote sensing, Cryosphere-Hydrosphere Processes READ MORE
Elaine M. Prins, Christopher S. Velden, Jeffrey D. Hawkins, F. Joseph Turk, Jaime M. Daniels, Gerald J. Dittberner, Kenneth Holmlund, Robbie E. Hood, Arlene G. Laing, Shaima L. Nasiri, Jeffery J. Puschell, Marshall Shepherd (912), and John V. Zapotocny , 2005. A Summary of the 13th AMS Conference on Satellite Meteorology and Oceanography Conference (accepted to AMS Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society). -- Weather-Climate Processes, Remote sensing, Cryosphere-Hydrosphere Processes
Shepherd, M. , 2005. Can Cities Make Rain Weatherwise magazine. Volume 58, No. 5 (September/October Issue) -- Weather-Climate Processes, Urban and resource modeling, Remote sensing, Cryosphere-Hydrosphere Processes
Shepherd, J.M., and M. Jin, 2004. Linkages between the Urban Environment and Earth's Climate System. EOS, 85, 227-228. )-- Weather-Climate Processes, Urban and resource modeling, Remote sensing, Cryosphere-Hydrosphere Processes READ MORE
Shepherd, J.M., L. Taylor, and C. Garza, 2004. A dynamic multi-criteria technique for siting NASA-Clark Atlanta rain gauge network. J. of Atm. and Oceanic Technology, 21, 1346-1363. )-- Weather-Climate Processes, Urban and resource modeling, Remote sensing, Cryosphere-Hydrosphere Processes READ MORE
Shepherd, J.M., 2004. "A Reply to Diem et al.'s Commentary on A Recent Literature Contribution Focused on Urban-Induced Rainfall in Atlanta." J. of Appl. Meteor. Vol. 43, 951-957. )-- Weather-Climate Processes, Remote sensing, Cryosphere-Hydrosphere Processes
Burian, S.J., Shepherd, J.M., and Hooshialsadat, P., 2004. Urbanization impacts on Houston rainstorms. Innovative Modeling of Urban Water Systems, Monograph 12, Edited by W. James, pp. 1-22. -- Weather-Climate Processes, Urban and resource modeling, Remote sensing, Cryosphere-Hydrosphere Processes
Shepherd, J.M., and S.J. Burian, 2003. Detection of Urban-Induced Rainfall Anomalies in a Major Coastal City. Earth Interactions, 7, 1-14)--Weather-Climate Processes, Remote sensing, Cryosphere-Hydrosphere Processes,
Tao, W.-K., R. Adler, D. Baker, S. Braun, M.-D. Chou, M. Jasinski, Y. Jia, R. Kakar, S. Lamg, W. K.-M. Lau, B. Lynn, M. Karyampudi, Z.-X. Pu, M. Shepherd, J. Simpson, D. Starr, Y. Wang, W. Weinman and P. Wetzel , 2003. Regional Scale Modeling at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center Recent Research Developments in Atmospheric Science, Research Signpost, Volume 2, 52 pp. -- Weather-Climate Processes, Cryosphere-Hydrosphere Processes
Shepherd, J.M., D. Herring, J. Halverson, R. Gutro, and G. Huffman , 2003. The Big Picture Weatherwise, Vol. 56, No. 1 (Jan./Feb Issue) -- Weather-Climate Processes, Remote sensing, Cryosphere-Hydrosphere Processes
Birk, R., D. Steitz, and J. M. Shepherd , 2003. Earth Observation Summit Earth Observation Magazine, Vol. 12. -- Remote sensing
Shepherd, J.M., Harold Pierce, and A. J. Negri, 2002. On Rainfall Modification by Major Urban Areas: Observations from Space-borne Radar on TRMM. Journal of Applied Meteorology, 41, 689-701. )-- Weather-Climate Processes, Remote sensing, Cryosphere-Hydrosphere Processes, READ MORE
Shepherd, J.M., and E.A. Smith , 2002. Bridging from TRMM to GPM to 3-Hourly Precipitation Estimates NASA Technical Memorandum-2002-211602-GPM Report 7, Available at NASA/GSFC, 1-7.-- Weather-Climate Processes, Remote sensing, Cryosphere-Hydrosphere Processes
Shepherd, J.M. and AV. Mehta , 2002. Summary of First GPM Partners Planning Workshop NASA Conference Publication-2002-210012-GPM Report 1, Available at NASA/GSFC, 1-37. -- Weather-Climate Processes, Remote sensing, Cryosphere-Hydrosphere Processes
Shepherd, J.M., Brad S. Ferrier, and Peter S. Ray, 2001. Rainfall Morphology in Florida Convergence Zones: A Numerical Study, Monthly Weather Review, 129, 177-197. )-- Weather-Climate Processes, Remote sensing
M. Michaels, J.M. Shepherd, S. Aberson, K. Murphy, and H. Friedman , 2001. Survey Results of Society Membership: The Face of Our Profession at the Threshold of the New Millennium. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society. Bull. of Amer. Meteo. Soc., 82, 1331-1352-- Other
Shepherd, J.M. , 1999. Rainfall Morphology in Semi-Tropical Convergence Zones Submitted in partial fulfillment (May 1999) of a Doctor of Philosophy in Meteorology at Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida 32306. 130 pp. -- Weather-Climate Processes
G.M. Heymsfield, I,J. Caylor, J.M. Shepherd, and W.B. Olson , 1996. Structure of Florida Thunderstorms Using High-Altitude Aircraft Radiometer and Radar Observations. Journal of Applied Meteorology. -- Weather-Climate Processes, Cryosphere-Hydrosphere Processes
C. Paxton and J. M. Shepherd , 1993. NOAA Technical Memorandum NWS SR-149 Radar Diagnostic Parameters as Indicators of Severe Weather in Central Florida. Scientific Services Division-Southern Region, June 1993. -- Weather-Climate Processes, Remote sensing
Shepherd, J.M. , 1992. A Radar Reflectivity-Based Algorithm for Tropical Cyclone Location Submitted and accepted on Nov. 24th, 1992 in partial fulfillment of a Master's Degree in Meteorology at Florida State University, Tallahassee, Fl. 32306. -- Weather-Climate Processes, Remote sensing
Levin Z., J.L. Brenguier, W. Cotton, G. Feingold, Y. Kaufman, and M. Shepherd, 2008. Chapter 5: Observational studies of the effects of aerosols on clouds and precipitation from the book, Assessment of the effects of pollution on precipitation, eds. Z. Levin and W. Cotton Commissioned by The World Meteorological Organization/IUGG , International Aerosol Precipitation Science Assessment Group (IAPSAG), Springer, 386 pp.
C. Mitra, J.M. Shepherd, and T. Jordan, 2008. Assessment and dynamics of the urban growth in the city of Kolkata, India. A.K. Dutt, V. Wadhwa, B. Thakur, and G.M. Pomeroy(eds). Social Geography for the 21st Century. (Contract with) Concept Publishing Company, New Delhi. (accepted)
Hou, A., G.S., Jackson, C. Kummerow, and J.M. Shepherd, 2008. Global Precipitation Measurement Precipitation: Advances in Measurement, Estimation, and Prediction, edited by Silas Michaelides, pp. 1-39
Reynolds, S., S. Burian, J.M. Shepherd, and M. Manyin, 2008. Urban induced rainfall modifications on urban hydrologic response . In: Reliable modeling of urban water systems, Edited by W. James et al., Computational Hydraulics International, Guelph, Ontario, CA, pp. 99-122.
Shepherd, J.M., W. Shem, L. Hand, and M. Manyin, 2008. Modeling Urban Effects on the Precipitation Component of the Water Cycle Geospatial Analysis and Modeling of Urban Environments, Springer Book Series-GIScience (submitted)
Shepherd, 2008. Essay entitled Urbanization and Its Effects on Key Atmospheric and Surface Water Cycle in Principles of Water Resources by T. Cech.
Smith, A., G. Asrar, Y. Furuhama, A. Ginati, C. Kummerow, V. Levizzani, A. Mugnai, K. Nakamura, R. Adler, V. Casse, M. Cleave, M. Debois, J. Durning, J. Entin, P. Houser, T. Iguchi, R. Kakar, J. Kaye, M. Kojima, D. Lettenmaier, M. Luther, A. Mehta, P. Morel, T. Nakazawa, S. Neeck, K. Okamoto, R. Oki, G. Raju, M. Shepherd, E. Stocker, J. Testud, and E. Wood, 2007. International Global Precipitation Measurement (GPM) program and mission: An overview. Measuring precipitation from space - EURAINSAT and the future. V. Levizzani, P. Bauer, and F. J. Turk, Eds., Springer, 611-653.
Smith, A., G. Asrar, Y. Furuhama, A. Ginati, C. Kummerow, V. Levizzani, A. Mugnai, K. Nakamura, R. Adler, V. Casse, M. Cleave, M. Debois, J. Durning, J. Entin, P. Houser, T. Iguchi, R. Kakar, J. Kaye, M. Kojima, D. Lettenmaier, M. Luther, A. Mehta, P. Morel, T. Nakazawa, S. Neeck, K. Okamoto, R. Oki, G. Raju, M. Shepherd, E. Stocker, J. Testud, and E. Wood, 2007. : International Global Precipitation Measurement (GPM) program and mission: An overview. Measuring precipitation from space - EURAINSAT and the future. V. Levizzani, P. Bauer, and F. J. Turk, Eds., Springer, 611-653.
Imhoff, M., L. Bounani, and J.M. Shepherd, 2006. The Gray Wave, Our Changing Planet: A View from Space edited by Robin G. Williams, Kim Partington, Claire Parkinson, and Michael D. King, to be published by Cambridge University Press. (in press) -- Weather-Climate Processes, Urban and resource modeling, Remote sensing, Cryosphere-Hydrosphere Processes
Mitra, C., J.M. Shepherd, and T. Jordan, 2008. The dynamics of urban growth in Kolkata, India and Potential impacts on pre-monsoon precipitation U rban Climate News: Quarterly Newsletter of IAUC (International Association of Urban Climate), titled (Issue 28, Page 11). Available at http://www.urban-climate.org/ READ MORE
Trenberth et al. (Numerous Authors and Contributing Authors including J.M. Shepherd), 2007. Observations: Surface and Atmospheric Climate Change Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change [Solomon, S., D. Qin, M. Manning, Z. Chen, M. Marquis, K.B. Averyt, M. Tignor and H.L. Miller (eds.)]. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, NY, USA. READ MORE
Shepherd, J.M with contributions from T.L. Mote, 2008. Hurricanes and Global Warming Atlanta Journal Constitution (September Editorial Commentary) READ MORE
Shepherd, J.M. , 2006. Op-Ed on Hurricanes and Global Warming Atlanta Journal-Constitution Weather-Climate Processes.
Urban Climatology, Urban Planning, GIS and Remote Sensing, Urban Geography
My research focuses on how collections of cities impact regional climate. Alongside urban climate, I am interested in climate change, tropical meteorology, remote sensing, and merging of weather and GIS techniques.
Fragomeni, Mariana Alfonso
My research intent is to find out how the built environment can be better planned and adapted to climate. My aim is to understand how to bridge the gap between urban planning and urban climatology, better understanding the effects of urban form on climate and the impacts to human quality of life in cities.
Research Interests: Urban climatology, bioclimatology, hazard and climate adaptation, energy efficiency