Professor/Director of the Center for Geospatial Research
GIScience, landscape ecology and human-environment interaction
- Ph.D. (1990), University of Georgia Ecology
- Master of Arts (1984), State University of New York Biology
- Bachelor of Arts (1979), State University of New York Biology
- Revitalization of Traditional Cherokee Artisian Resources, 2005 – 2007. Digital Vegetation Databases and Maps for the Qualla Boundary and other Tribal Lands (Principal Investigator with Thomas Jordan) $131,375.
- The Nature Conservancy, 2005-2006. Grand Bay-Banks Lake Stewardship Phase II Legacy Project: Current and Historic Vegetation, Water Control Structures and Disturbances Database Development (Co-Principal Investigator with Liz Kramer) $ 35,629.
- University of West Georgia – GeorgiaView, 2005. Geographic Information Science (GISci) Undergraduate Internship at The University of Georgia, (Principal Investigator) $5,500.
- American Museum of Natural History, 2005. GIS Support for Interactive Geovisualizations, (Principal Investigator) $4,050.
- National Park Service, 2005-2007. Monitoring, Modeling and Assessment of the Everglades Ecosystem: R-EMAP Phase III, (Principal Investigator with T. Jordan) Funded: $85,519.
- National Park Service, 2004-2006. Orthoimage Production and Buffer-Area Landcover Mapping in National Park Service Units of the Appalachian Highlands and Cumberland/Piedmont Networks, (Principal Investigator with T. Jordan) $183,000.
- National Park Service, 2004-2005. Airboat/ORV Trail Inventory for the East Everglades Addition Lands, (Principal Investigator with T. Jordan) $55,263.
- The Nature Conservancy, 2004. Spatial Data Inventory, Collection and Map Production for Savannah River Tidal and Salt Water Wetlands Restoration Workshop, The Nature Conservancy Coastal Georgia Office, (Principal Investigator) $5,000.
- National Park Service, 2001-2006. Digital Vegetation Databases and Maps for National Park Service Units in the Appalachian Highlands and Cumberland/Piedmont Networks, (Principal Investigator with R. Welch) $985,695.
- Georgia Department of Natural Resources (GDNR), 2001-2005. Geographic Information Systems Studies for the Wildlife Resources Division, Georgia Department of Natural Resources, (Principal Investigator) $267,309.
- National Park Service, 2000-2005. ORV Trail Accuracy Assement in Big Cypress National Preserve, (Principal Investigator) $110,990.
- The Wilderness Society, 2002-2004. Georgia Datasets for The Wilderness Society’s National Land Acquisition Prioritization Program, (Principal Investigator) $67,500.
- U.S. Geological Survey, 2003-2004. Feature Extraction from Multimodal Sources to Support The National Map, (Co-Principal Investigator with E.L. Usery), $45,113.
- National Geospatial Intelligence Agency, 2001-2004. Optimization of Coastal Zone Databases using Multimodal Data, (Co-Principal Investigator with E.L. Usery and T.R. Jordan) $410,317.
- National Park Service, 1998-2003. Digital Vegetation Maps for the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, (Co-Principal Investigator with R. Welch) $553,000.
- National Park Service, 1994-2000. Vegetation Map and Digital Database of South Florida National Park Service Lands to Assess Long-Term Effects of Hurricane Andrew, (Co-Principal Investigator with R. Welch) $881,495.
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration, 1998-1999. Enhanced Remote Sensing Capabilities for Integrated Assessments of Environmental Change: Center of Excellence in Applications of Remote Sensing to Regional and Global Integrated Environmental Assessments, (Co-Principal Investigator with R. Welch, T. Jordan, J. Alberts and D. Coleman) $282,995.
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, South Carolina Sea Grant Consortium, 1998. State-of-Knowledge: GIS Databases and Land Use/Cover Patterns for Georgia. (Co-Principal Investigator with R. Welch) $14,999.
- National Park Service, 1997-1998. Off-Road Vehicle Trail Database for Big Cypress National Preserve, (Co-Principal Investigator with R. Welch) $18,218.
- Environmental Protection Agency, 1995-1998. Change Analysis of Vegetation and Drainage Patterns near Lake Istokpoga, Florida, (Co-Principal Investigator with R. Welch) $43,796.
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, 1994-1997. Georgia Coast Land Cover and Habitat Change (1984-1994), (Co-Principal Investigator with R. Welch, J. Alberts and A. Chalmers) $37,987.
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, 1993-1994. GIS Modeling to Assess the Impact of Management Activities and Non-Point Source Pollution on Coastal Marshlands of the SINERR, (Co-Principal Investigator with J. Alberts, A. Chalmers and R. Welch) $37,266.
- National Science Foundation, 1992-1994. Geographic Database for the Salt Marsh Ecosystems of the Southeastern United States, (Co-Principal Investigator with R. Welch, J. Alberts, A. Chalmers, B. Kjerfve and B. Michener) $275,000.
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, 1990-1991. GIS Projections of Physical and Biotic Trends in the SINERR: 1953-1993, (Co-Principal Investigator with R. Welch and J. Alberts) $49,969.
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, 1989-1990. An Integrated Resource Database for the Sapelo Island National Estuarine Research Reserve (SINERR), (Co-Principal Investigator with R. Welch and J. Alberts) $46,708.
Meng, Q., CJ. Cieszewski, M. Madden and B.E. Borders, 2007. K nearest neighbor method for forest inventory using remote sensing data GIScience & Remote Sensing, in press.
Ling, Y., M. Ehlers, E.L. Usery and M. Madden, 2007. Effects of resolution ratio in image fusion International Journal of Remote Sensing, in press.
Fleming, S., T. Jordan, M. Madden, E.L. Usery and R. Welch, 2007. GIS applications for military operations in coastal zones International Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, (in revision).
Ling, Y., M. Ehlers, E.L. Usery and M. Madden, 2007. FFT-Enhanced HIS transform method for fusing high-resolution satellite images ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, 61(6): 381-392.
Gibbs, S.E.J., M. C. Wimberly, M. Madden, J. Masour, M.J. Yabsley and D.E. Stalknecht , 2006. Factors affecting the geographic distribution of West Nile virus in Georgia, USA: 2002-2004. Vector Borne and Zoonotic Diseases, 6(1): 73-82.
Madden, M. and Giraldo, M. , 2005. Landscape modeling and geovisualization (Invited Paper), In, S. Nayak, Ed., Geospatial Today, 3(7):14-20 www.geospatialtoday.com.
Madden, M. , 2004. Remote sensing and GIS methodologies for vegetation mapping of invasive exotics ( Invited Paper), Weed Technology, 18:1457-1463.
Madden, M. , 2004. Vegetation modeling, analysis and visualization in U.S. National Parks In, M.O. Altan, Ed., International Archives of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, Vol. 35, Part 4B: 1287-1293.
Bacchus, S., D. Archibald, G. Brook, K. Britton, B. Haines, S. Rathbun and M. Madden , 2003. Near infared spectroscopy of hydroecological indicator: New tool for determining sustainable yield for Floridan Aquifer System Hydrological Processes, 17:1785-1809.
Hirano, A., M. Madden and R. Welch , 2003. Hyperspectral image data for mapping wetland vegetation Wetlands, 23(2): 436-448.
Madden, M. , 2003. Visualization and analysis of vegetation patterns in National Parks of the Southeastern United States In, J. Schiewe, M. Hahn, M. Madden and M. Sester, Eds., Proceedings of Challenges in Geospatial Analysis, Integration and Visualization II, International Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing Commission IV Joint Workshop, Stuttgart, Germany: 143-146 DOWNLOAD PDF
Welch, R., M. Madden and T. Jordan , 2002. Photogrammetric and GIS techniques for the development of vegetation databases of mountainous areas: Great Smoky Mountains National Park ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, 57(1-2): 53-68.
Welch, R. and M. Madden , 2002. Vegetation mapping from remotely sensed imagery Invited Paper, In, Anders Boberg, Ed., Bildteknik/Image Science Nr 2002:1, Photogrammetry Meets Geoinformatics, Swedish Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, Stockholm, Sweden, pp. 201-206.
Welch, R., M. Madden, and R. F. Doren , 2002. Maps and GIS databases for environmental studies of the Everglades Chapter 9. In, J. Porter and K. Porter (Eds.) The Everglades, Florida Bay and Coral Reefs of the Florida Keys: An Ecosystem Sourcebook, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida: 259-279.
Madden, M. D. Jones and L. Vilchek , 1999. Photointerpretation key for the Everglades Vegetation Classification System Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, 65(2): 171-177.
Welch, R., Madden, M. and R. Doren , 1999. Mapping the Everglades Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, 65(2): 163-170.
Madden, M., T.R. Jordan and J. Dolezal, 2006. Visualization for resource management In, E. Stefanakis, M.P. Peterson, C. Armenakis, V. Delis (Ed.), Geographic Hypermedia: Concepts and Systems, Springer-Verlag, New York: 329-344.