Alan W. Black
Winter Hazard Climatology
Assessment of Winter Hazard Vulnerability
Clear Air Turbulence (CAT) Forecasting
Forecaster Decision Making During Severe Weather
Tornado Debris Distributions
Climatology of High Wind
- Master of Science (2008) Northern Illinois University Geography
- Bachelor of Science (2006) Northern Illinois University Meteorology
- Associate of Arts (2003) Black Hawk College
- Colloquium Committee, University of Georgia Department of Geography, 2012-present.
- Graduate Advisor, University of Georgia Local Chapter of the American Meteorological Society, 2012-present.
- National Weather Association (NWA) Weather Analysis and Forecasting Committee, 2012-present.
- Graduate Representative, University of Georgia Department of Geography, 2011-2012.
- Weather and Society*Integrated Studies (WAS*IS) Workshop participant, 2011.
- Meteorology Event Supervisor, Georgia Science Olympiad, 2011 - present.
- Meteorology Event Supervisor, Illinois Science Olympiad, 2009-2010.
- Northern Illinois University Department of Geography Outstanding Teaching Assistant, 2008.
- Northern Illinois University Centennial Scholarship, 2003.
Knox, J.A., J.A. Rackley, A.W. Black, V.A. Gensini, M.Butler, C.Dunn, T.Gallo, M.R.Hunter, L.Lindsey, M.Phan, R.Scroggs, S.Brustad, 2012: Tornado debris characteristics and trajectories during the 27 April 2011 super outbreak as determined using social media data. Bull. Amer. Meteorol. Soc., [in press]
Black, A.W., and W.S. Ashley, 2011: The relationship between tornadic and nontornadic convective wind fatalities and warnings. Weather, Climate, and Society, 3, 31-47. See more
Gensini, V., A.W. Black, D. Changnon, and S. Changnon, 2011: September 2008 heavy rains in Northeast Illinois: meteorological anaysis and impacts. Transactions of the Illinois State Academy of Science, 104, 17-33. See more
Black, A.W., and W.S. Ashley, 2010: Nontornadic convective wind fatalities in the United States. Natural Hazards, 54, 355-366. See more
Changnon, S.A., and A.W. Black, 2009: 2008: A record wet and stormy year in Illinois. Report of Investigation 117, Illinois State Water Survey, Champaign, IL. See more
Ashley, W.S., and A.W. Black, 2008: Fatalities associated with nonconvective high-wind events in the United States. Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology, 47, 717-725. See more
Knox, J. A., G. P. Ellrod, S. Silberberg, E. Wilson, A. W. Black, and coauthors, 2011: Verification of clear air turbulence (CAT) forecast indices during two winters. 36th Annual Meeting of the National Weather Association, Birmingham, AL.
Durkee, J. D., A. W. Black, J. M. Gilliland, and J. A. Knox, 2011: A climatology of high-wind observations in the eastern United States during 1951-2009. 107th Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers, Seattle, WA.
Black, A.W. and W.S. Ashley, 2008: Non-tornadic convective wind fatalities in the United States. 24th Conference on Severe Local Storms, Savannah, GA. See more
Black, A.W. and W.S. Ashley, 2007: Fatalities associated with non-convective high wind events in the United States. 11th Annual Central Iowa NWA Severe Storms and Doppler Radar Conference, Des Moines, IA. See more
Black, A.W. and W.S. Ashley, 2006: Fatalities associated with non-convective high wind events in the United States. 23rd Conference on Severe Local Storms, St. Louis, MO. See more